Friday, December 07, 2007

Getting the Boot

What to wear? This is a matter of survival...that is if one wants to get off the ship for shore excursions in one of the small, rubber zodiac boats. At landing sites, there are no docks. no piers...just freezing cold water to step into. Could be up to one's knees they tell us. I read that after four minutes if you fall into the brink, hypothermia begins to set in.

It's obvious that boots are very important. Our cruise line suggests non-insulated, waterproof, rubber, fourteen inch high boots worn over heavy insulated boot socks layered over a lightweight liner sock. I finally found mine at REI but not until after I had already taken home a pair of russett-colored, moose-patterned wellies from L.L. Bean.

Several nights later, I got to thinking about those moose. The occasion seemed to call for something a bit more dignified. So online I went and found the perfect pair...and at half the price to boot. (Intended)

Tonight in our twenty degree weather after yesterday's mini snowstorm, I gave them a trial run or, more accurately, a trial stroll. They felt just fine-a little klunky-but with some practice I'll, hopefully, be able to waddle over the ice and snow like a penquin. Just to be sure, I got a pair of YakTrax, ice grabbers that strap onto the boot. To the left you can see a portrait of boots at rest sans YakTrax.

No comments: