Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Surrounded by Spectacle

Antarctica is a humbling, thrilling experience. It seems not strange at all to be cruising through these waters. We have had beautiful weather allowing me to go on deck with the same clothes I would wear at home. Most important part of my wardrobe is my camera. Today I barely had time to eat breakfast or lunch because gorgeous ice formations would suddenly appear outside the windows or our expedition leader would announce a sighting of penquins sitting on icebergs. It is all simply stunning and surreal.

Penguins on the Rocks
Yesterday we went on our second Zodiac expedition. This is quite an ordeal but highly organized and we move through it smoothly with a passenger count near 500. Each boat holds from ten to twelve and we are well taken care of.

We went to Arctowski Station, a Polish reseach base. The landing and path were nothing but huge pebbles and very tough to maneuver. I tried to mimic the way penquins waddle but in the end a kind and strong German couple each took one arm and pulled me through it. I call it assisted walking. At the end of it, I saw two huge elephant seals snoring away, Nearby was a Gentoo penquin rookery. The penquins are as adorable in person as in the movies.

Pictures are coming along-finally. I am having a hard time finding a way to post them but will before the end of the trip. For those following from Baltimore and San Miguel, everyone is having an extraordinary time and all are in good hands.

Hopefully more tomorrow or the next day. We have two more landings scheduled. Comments are welcome which you can insert below.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So glad I told you to go on this trip. Absolutely the chance of a lifetime. Will enjoy it thru you. Luv-Marsha